The woods planned a surprise for me as I worked at my desk today. A black
bear sauntered past our deck in broad daylight. The wonders and beauty of
nature right out my window scared the freaking daylights out of me. Earlier, I
thought about picking ripe choke cherries for jelly. Bears like choke cherries.
I don't like choke cherry jelly anymore.
The neighbor's dogs have sent up a holy racket most of the day so you know
darn good and well the bear skulks just around the corner of the shed as I
write this. Later, I had to check the car for my cell phone so I skedaddled out the
back and bolted the garage door like a kid on a moonless night right after
watching The Exorcist.
The unvarnished truth started to filter through my bear induced sweat or
what I like to call the bear facts of life. I have decided our existence is
just too short to stress over little things because at any moment I could be
the next thing a bear licks off his chops. So I savored lunch knowing what it's like when you just don't give a
reeking bear crap about setting a good example for your kid anymore. And no I
didn't get a bleeping picture of the bear. I was too busy finding clean
underwear.

Bear bells? A friend from Alaska said they have to wear bear bells to chase off the grizzlies.
ReplyDeleteOf course whether they actually work?